CLASSE NUMÉRO TROIS (3)

Le contenu de la troisième classe:
  • Les verbes pronominaux 
  • Expressions courantes

I. PRONOMINAL VERBS 

  • Pronominal or reflexive verbs are very common in French. 
  • They describe an action which is applied to oneself, a reflexive action.
Examples:
  • demander (to ask) se demander (to ask oneself)
  • laver (to wash) > se laver (to wash oneself)
  • voir (to see) > se voir (to see oneself)

PRÉSENT

Je me vois (I see myself)
Tu te vois (you see yourself)
Il/elle se voit (he/she sees himself/herself)
On se voit** (we see ourselves or each other)
Nous nous voyons** (we see ourselves)
Vous vous voyez** (you see yourselves)
Ils/elles se voient** (they see themselves)

**Note: When the subject is plural (on, nous, vous, ils/elles), the action can also become reciprocal, depending on the context.

Examples:
On se voit...
(we see ourselves... in the mirror on the wall)
(we see each other... every other week)
Elles se voient...
> (they see themselves ... living in Japan in a few years) 
> (they see each other... all the time)



PASSÉ COMPOSÉ 
(agreement needed with direct/transitive verbs)

Je me suis regardé(e) (I looked at myself)
Tu t' es regardé(e) (you looked at yourself)
Il/elle s' est regardé(e) (he/she looked at himself/herself)
On s' est regardé(e-s) (we looked at ourselves/each other)
Nous nous sommes regardé(e)s (we looked at ourselves/e.o.)
Vous vous êtes regardé(e-s) (you looked at yourselves/e.o.)
Ils/elles se sont regardé(e)s (they looked at themselves/e.o.)


Bref, je me suis préparé pour un rendez-vous--Extraits
(to make a long story short, I got ready for a date) 2011



Transcription
  • Bref, quand je dois prendre rendez-vous avec une fille, j'attends toujours trois jours avant de lui envoyer un texto pour montrer que je suis un gars détaché.
  • ...when I need to have a date with a girl, I always wait three days before sending her a text message to show that I'm a detached kind of guy.
  • Entretemps, je tape son nom et son prénom dans Google et j'apprends qu'elle était en Seconde B au lycée Clémenceau à Reims. Génial!
  • In the meantime, I type her last name and her first name in Google and I learn that she used to be in 10th grade at the Clémenceau high school in Reims. Great!
  • A chaque fois que je me prépare pour un rendez-vous, je prends une douche deux fois pour être bien propre. Après, pendant une heure, je m'occupe de ma barbe pour avoir l'air d'un mec qui ne s'occupe pas de sa barbe.
  • Each time I get ready for a date, I take a shower twice to be really clean. After, for an hour, I take care of my beard to appear to be a guy who doesn't take care of his beard.
  • Je teste une tenue 1, une tenue 2, une tenue 3, une tenue 4. Je reviens à la tenue 1. Je vérifie si j'ai pas de crottes de nez. Je vérifie si ma braguette n'est pas ouverte.
  • I try on outfit number 1, outfit number 2, outfit number 3, outfit number 4. I come back to outfit number 1. I check to see if I don't have boogers. I check to see if my fly is not opened.
  • Je me mets du parfum. J'oublie. J'en remets. Je réoublie. Je sens trop le parfum. Je reprends une douche et je remets du parfum.
  • I put on (myself) perfume. I forget. I put more. I forget again. I smell like too much perfume. I take again a shower and I put more perfume.
  • Je répète mes phrases d'accroche: "Salut! salut! salut! salut! Oh, comment tu vas? Ça va? Excuse-moi, je suis en retard, je..."
  • I repeat my pick-up lines: "Hi! hi! hi! hi! Eh, how is it going? Doing well? Excuse-me, I'm late, I...


Bref, j'ai passé un entretien (2011)--Extraits
(to make a long story short, I had a job interview) 


1.

  • "À côté de moi, il y avait ce mec. Je l'ai trouvé bizarre. Il était trop propre sur lui."
  • Next to me, there was this guy. I found him strange. He was too clean-cut. 
  • "Je me suis dit que ça cachait quelque chose."
  • I said to myself that this was fishy.


2.


  • Le directeur m'a appelé. On s'est installés. J'ai regardé sa cravate. C'était une cravate 'Dingo'. 
  • The director called me. We "settled down." I looked at his tie. It was a 'Pluto' tie. 
  • Je me suis demandé si, un jour, il était vraiment entré dans une boutique et qu'il avait dit: "Bonjour Madame, je voudrais une cravate Dingo'.
  • I wondered if, one day, he had really gone to a store and said: "Hello Madame, I would like a 'Pluto' tie.


II. EXPRESSIONS USING PRONOMINAL VERBS

Most common pronominal/reflexive verbs

  • "se mettre à" instead of "commencer à " (to begin)
  • "se rendre compte de" instead of "réaliser" (to realize)
  • se ficher de: not to care
  • s'occuper de: to take care of
  • se demander: to wonder
  • se dire: to say to oneself/each other
  • se parler: to talk to oneself/each other
  • se voir: to see oneself/each other
  • se téléphoner: to call (on the phone) each/other
  • se rencontrer: to meet each other
  • s'aimer: to like/love oneself/each other
  • s'apprécier: to enjoy each other
  • se réveiller: to wake up
  • se lever: to get up
  • se préparer: to get ready
  • s'habiller: to get dressed
  • se doucher: to take a shower
  • se dépêcher: to hurry up
  • se promener: to take a walk
  • se coucher: to go to bed

Most common expressions 
  • on s'appelle: we call each other
  • on se rappelle: we call each other back
  • on se voit bientôt: we see each other soon
  • on se fait un restau: let's have lunch/diner together
  • je m'en fiche: I don't care
  • on s'en fiche!: Who cares!
  • je m'en fous: I don't give a damn
  • je m'en occupe: I'm taking care of it
  • je me demande si...: I wonder if...
  • je me demande pourquoi...: I wonder why...
  • on s'est connus...: we met (for the first time)...
  • on s'est retrouvés..: we met up
  • on s'est regardés: we looked at each other
  • on va se promener?: "should" we go for a walk?
  • on se fait un restau?: you want to have lunch/diner?
  • on se fait un ciné?: you want to see a movie/flick?
  • je me suis couché(e) tard: I went to bed late
  • je dois me réveiller tôt: I must wake up early



François Truffaut "Jules et Jim" (1962)--Extraits
Jeanne Moreau chante "Le tourbillon de la vie"



Paroles
  • "On s'est connus, on s'est reconnus, on s'est perdus de vue, on s'est reperdus de vue"
  • We met each other, we recognized each other, we lost sight of each other, we lost sight again of each other.
  • "On s'est retrouvés, on s'est réchauffés, puis on s'est séparés." 
  • We met up, we warmed each other up, then we left each other.
  • Chacun pour soi est reparti dans le tourbillon de la vie.
  • Each on our own, we went back in the whirlwind of life.