CLASSE NUMÉRO SEPT (7)

Le contenu de la septième classe:
  • Pronoms relatifs simples et complexes
  • CE QUE / CE QUI / CE DONT

I. LES PRONOMS RELATIFS


QUI et QUE
  • a relative pronoun connects two sentences by avoiding in one of them the repetition of a shared word
  • 1. > 1. Regarde la voiture. 2. La voiture est rouge.
  • Regarde la voiture qui est rouge (subject)
  • 2. > 1. Regarde la voiture2. Je veux acheter la voiture
  • Regarde la voiture que je veux acheter (object)


**Note: the "e" of QUE can be dropped if followed by a vowel. See an example with QUE and ON in the following video.

"Les mots bleus" de Christophe (1975) -- Extraits


Paroles
Je lui dirai les mots bleus, les mots qu'on dit avec les yeux.
(I'll tell her/him the blue words, the words which are pronounced with the eyes)

OÙ 
  • OÙ means "where" and usually replaces a place
  • OÙ sometimes is used with expressions of time
Exemples
Elle est allée au supermarché elle a acheté des fruits
(she went to the supermarket where she bought fruits)
Le jour/l'année ... (the day/year when...)
C'était une époque ... (it was a time when...)


DONT
  • DONT means "Of whom/which" or "whose" or "about which"
  • DONT is used when the preposition DE is needed
Exemples
1. La femme de...
C'est un artiste dont la femme est française.
(It's an artist whose wife is French)

2. Parler de ... (to talk about)
Je ne connais pas la personne dont tu parles.
(I don't know the person about whom you're talking
>>I don't know the person you're talking about.)


PRONOMS RELATIFS COMPLEXES
  • relative pronouns can be used with prepositions
  • LEQUEL (masculine) et LAQUELLE (feminine) are used in combination with a preposition
  • > C'est le stylo avec lequel il écrit (...the pen with which...)
  • > Ils aiment la cause pour laquelle ils travaillent
  • (they like the cause for which they're working)
  • L'eau est l'élément sans lequel on ne pourrait pas vivre
  • (Water is the element without which we couldn't live)

LEQUEL > LESQUELS (masculine plural)
LAQUELLE > LESQUELLES (feminine plural)

Francis Cabrel
"Je t'aimais, je t'aime et je t'aimerai " (1994) -- Extraits



Paroles
Le monde a tellement de regrets
The world has so many regrets
Tellement de choses qu'on promet...
So many things that we promise
Une seule chose pour laquelle je suis fait:
One single thing for which I was made:
Je t'aimais, je t'aime et je t'aimerai
I used to love you, I love you and I will love you


II. CE QUI, CE QUE, CE DONT
  • CE is used when what the relative pronoun is replacing is not explicitly mentioned
  • CE can always be replaced by "la chose"
  • > Je sais ce que je veux > Je sais "la chose" que je veux
  • I know what I want > I know "the thing" that I want

  • CE QUI is used when it is the subject of the sentence
  • CE QUE is used when it is the object of the sentence
  • CE DONT is used when it is the indirect object of the sentence and it requires the preposition DE

Examples
Ce qui m'intéresse dans la vie, c'est... (subject)
What interests me in life is...
Tu ne comprends pas ce que le réalisateur veut dire. (object)
You don't understand what the director means.
Savez-vous ce dont ils parlent? (parler de)
Do you know what they are talking about?


Publicité (1999) -- Extraits 
Gel pour les cheveux "Grafic" de Garnier 


Slogan
Je fais ce que je veux avec mes cheveux.
(I do what I want with my hair)

Sébastien Tellier 
"L'amour et la violence" (2011) -- Extraits


Dis-moi ce que tu penses de ma vie, de mon adolescence.
Dis-moi ce que tu penses...
(Tell me what you think about my life, about my teenage years.Tell me what you think...)

Entretien avec Jean-Luc Godard (1964) -- Extraits


Ce qui m'intéresse, c'est qu'on parle des choses.
(What interests me is that we talk about things.)